Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pitch Counts in IHSA

This is coming from me as a former player and now a coach. The last meaningful game I ever pitched in I threw 150 pitches in a legion game. My arm was never the same, and forced me under the knife less than 9 months later and college ball done. I don't blame high school innings as the problem, but many times summer ball turning young players into throwing 140 plus innings over only a 5 month season. Many kids are not used to this wear and tear by only the age of 16-18 years old. I as a summer coach, limit those who threw 40 plus innings in high school ball, to only one start a week and limiting pitch count to 70-80, no matter the score. I know this may not be the best formula for success in the Wins column, but lets kids arms rest and recover. Too many times, just as I thought, pain is not seen at the current moment or even a few weeks after, but forcing kids to throw every fifth day 100-120 pitches over a 5 month period is not healthy. I like the pitch count idea, but who is going to keep it. I like the inning a week limit or rest after 5 innings thrown idea. Just my two cents worth.

Plus Member

My kid's 17U team has an iPad in the dugout that one of the dads keeps score with--we can tell you exactly how many pitches every kid threw--on both teams--all summer. If you're not keeping your own pitch counts there's a pretty good chance someone in the other dugout is. It's not as easy but it can be done on an iPhone as well--my guess is that whoever is keeping the official book will be required to keep pitch counts as well.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.---Omar Little

My name is Sip Rogers.
    I go to Abraham Lincoln High School.
    I play the two-spot.
    We're the Railspllitters, and nobody's ****in' with us.

I'm rollin' like a Big Shot.

I talked to one coach, he plans on spending all winter teaching his kids to foul of pitches...

O my, what if they accidentally miss the 3rd one.

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbutt View Post
    I talked to one coach, he plans on spending all winter teaching his kids to foul of pitches...
    A good coach does this anyway. You foul off the good pitches and wait for a mistake. One of the best at-bats a kid can have is when he fouls off 6 or 7 pitches and then hits a mistake to get on base. I don't think this is something new unless this coach has been living under a rock

Does Carlinville even have baseball?? I am not sure, never hear anything about them... but I think what they are going to teach their kids is that in this new babysitting in baseball, a 12 pitch at bat is now better than a 2 out single...

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbutt View Post
    Does Carlinville even have baseball?? I am not sure, never hear anything about them... but I think what they are going to teach their kids is that in this new babysitting in baseball, a 12 pitch at bat is now better than a 2 out single...
    Hmmm.... I don't think a pitch count is going to save any kids arm. But any rule that tries to remind coaches and parents that there has never been a HS game (any sport) that mattered 5 minutes after it was over.
    I have to stop asking how stupid can you be? Too many people consider it a challenge.

Plus Member

Think they passed it today. Max of 105. Haven't heard details yet.

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by murphy4ever View Post
    Think they passed it today. Max of 105. Haven't heard details yet.
    It's on the IHSA main page.

http://www.ihsa.org/NewsMedia/Announ...-For-2017.aspx

My name is Sip Rogers.
    I play the two-spot.

Plus Member

IMO this rule almost devastates 1A baseball. I agree with this rule completely. A kids arm should be the topmost priority in keeping safe in this sport. However, a 1A team that has two or three stud arms is rare to find. The teams relying on one kid to a lot of victories is common but with this it's over. Are tournaments or showcases basically useless now? I would like to hear others opinions on this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 -2A Bracket Challenge Champion in Basketball

A look at the new IHSA pitch count rules and how they will be enforced:

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-schoo...120522943.html

Plus Member

IMO, if some of these pitchers weren't so over used by some summer league coaches, they wouldn't of had to go to these measures.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
    ― Fulton J. Sheen

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssgshoefan View Post
    IMO, if some of these pitchers weren't so over used by some summer league coaches, they wouldn't of had to go to these measures.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I'd argue that my son's team had 6 guys who threw regularly for their high schools. If they got overused it was during the school year. They also had guys that just showed up to pitch and that's it. I don't think summer/legion/travel baseball is the complete devil here--my son has played for 9 years and we've seen far higher pitch counts in school baseball.
    Now if a kid is playing for multiple teams--and his parents condone it--I don't feel like that's anyone's fault but the parent and I suppose the coaches if they're aware.

My name is Sip Rogers.
    I play the two-spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawkpride31 View Post
    IMO this rule almost devastates 1A baseball. I agree with this rule completely. A kids arm should be the topmost priority in keeping safe in this sport. However, a 1A team that has two or three stud arms is rare to find. The teams relying on one kid to a lot of victories is common but with this it's over. Are tournaments or showcases basically useless now? I would like to hear others opinions on this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with the rule too but disagree that it devastates 1A baseball. Most 1A teams that are good year after year develop multiple pitchers. Granted, they may lose a few games along the way not using their stud every game, but they seem to have healthier, stronger arms come post-season. I think you will eventually see more pitchers that throw strikes because more kids will be forced to get time on the mound.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast