Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Legion 5th Division Tournament

Absolutely correct in getting rid of the nine inning games.They don't even prepare them for that during the regular season as all games are seven innings.

Quote Originally Posted by John Himself View Post
    T-town started the division with only 9 players.One player became ill(food poisoning from what I'm told) and was hospitalized.They had to forfeit their first game,then one of the heads of the division told the t-town coach,they'd better not forfeit again or they'll be ineligible to play next year as well.So that kinda forced their hand.
    Dont think they can do such a thing (actually, I know they cannot do such a thing). Would love to see it in writing in either the state (department) rule book or the national rule book. A local district or division commander cannot develop and then enforce their own rules.

And then they wonder why the number of teams drop off every year. 99% of the American Legion Managers and Coaches still conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positively on their respective posts. The over management of these gentlemen by, lets just call them, overzealous people doesnt bode well for an organization born on teaching trust and fellowship to our youth.
    May God Bless, "35 Strong".
    306 is my new favorite number!

If the American Legion baseball program would just realize they are a good alternative to overpriced travel teams at this age level,they'd be much better off.
    Man, I couldn't agree more with this statement. If American Legion baseball would market themselves better, clean up some of the odd-ball tournament structure, manage their website better (with ACTUAL schedules, rosters, tourney brackets, ect) they'd grow like crazy. I've seen some really good competition at the junior level this year. I'm know the seniors are the same way. There's some really good programs out there. You shouldn't have to search like crazy to find more info.

Quote Originally Posted by 96Illini View Post
    Man, I couldn't agree more with this statement. If American Legion baseball would market themselves better, clean up some of the odd-ball tournament structure, manage their website better (with ACTUAL schedules, rosters, tourney brackets, ect) they'd grow like crazy. I've seen some really good competition at the junior level this year. I'm know the seniors are the same way. There's some really good programs out there. You shouldn't have to search like crazy to find more info.
    Yes,you get more accomplished beating your head against a tree than try to reason with some guys.

Metro-East Bears move to 2-0 at Great Lakes Regional with 7-5 win over Beloit, Wis.

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-schoo...e93873217.html

T-town started the division with only 9 players.One player became ill(food poisoning from what I'm told) and was hospitalized.They had to forfeit their first game,then one of the heads of the division told the t-town coach,they'd better not forfeit again or they'll be ineligible to play next year as well.So that kinda forced their hand.

Looking back on it,I'm sure the 20 yr old coach would've done things differently but whats done is done.

This was NOT done with the sole intention of winning a game,merely based on what was told them by an official.
    Is it a little bit ironic that Metro East won the state title today, beating Danville 8-1, after being kicked out of their own tournament earlier this year for using an ineligible player.

http://thetelegraph.com/sports/10522...ligible-player

http://www.bnd.com/sports/article159541214.html
    Chad Dare, Sports Editor, Danville Commercial-News
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
    "He who laughs last, laughs best."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12