Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Thread: Arbitrary Miltiplier: It either is or isn't.

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roamin' Catholic View Post
    Nope. I just agreed, twice. It may seem like so, sometimes, but my entire existence on this board isn't to attack you just for stating your opinions. I enjoy the private/public debate. I find it a clash of core beliefs at times. We clearly sit on opposite sides of the fence and that doesn't mean I don't like you, the person. I just disagree often with what you post on. But, for once or twice, I agreed. I'm man enough to admit when you're right, as seldom as it may be.
    OMG Cats and Dogs living together. Democrats and Republicans walking Hand in Hand!! Ok the Political thing is a stretch!

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg
    Confidence:
    The belief that you can achieve at anything as long as you are willing to try!

I'll take a team of confident kids any day

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kampy 32 View Post
    Apparently he doesn't understand that some schools are just getting kids for what that school is good at. Montini has been known for football and wrestling for almost 2 decades now...ironically those 2 sports go hand in hand when successful.
    Just curious--do you think Montini gets kids because they have a great wrestling program or because they have an unfair advantage over the public schools in the area?
    You come at the King, you best not miss.---Omar Little

My name is Sip Rogers.
    I go to Abraham Lincoln High School.
    I play the two-spot.
    We're the Railspllitters, and nobody's ****in' with us.

I'm rollin' like a Big Shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stangs4ever View Post
    Awesome! Dont really like to make enemies, especially when all the conversations are in type form. 👍
    Agreed.

Ok, three times is my absolute limit. Even on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by orphs View Post
    Just curious--do you think Montini gets kids because they have a great wrestling program or because they have an unfair advantage over the public schools in the area?
    I must admit, as an outsider with little to no knowledge of the area, I find it odd that Montini is such a draw like it is. I don't feel that area is really that bad that parents would be running from those public districts to get their kids away from anything. That is however the case in many instances such as Springfield, the Quad Cities, Bloomington, Peoria, etc. Quincy has a pretty bad public district, but even that isn't enough to draw more than the usual 390 kids away from that school and into QND. I suppose that's my personal opinion as to why many parents do or should choose a private school. I know other motives exist, I'm not that naive, but I feel there are some strong public schools in that general area. Also, I don't know what the exact number is, but I have to assume that tuition at Montini is well over $10,000. I have cousin's who live in St. Peter's, Mo. The girls attended St. Dominic's and the boy will be attending CB in the fall. CB's tuition I know is at or just below $15,000. So that has to put Montini as one of the high tuitions in Illinois, as CB is one of the top private high schools in the St. Louis area.
    Last edited by Roamin' Catholic; 03-24-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Bronze Club - Nov 11, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CoachShad View Post
    OMG Cats and Dogs living together. Democrats and Republicans walking Hand in Hand!! Ok the Political thing is a stretch!

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg
    Mass hysteria! Haha
    My SIG was taken because I doubted dcaudle

To be fair...I have never cared what schools "get kids". I have only cared that that particular school is put into the correct class for the postseason.

As for Montini wrestling I am not aware of how they get their kids. Are there a lot of senior transfers into Montini wrestling as their are in football?

Plus Member

I think as the program becomes stronger more kids are intrigued, parents included, to go to Montini knowing they have a good chance at getting to the finals. I think it's unfair to allow a waiver for private schools and can pull kids from a 30 mile radius to attend their school. Name a public school that big in district size.

Like Stangs I have no ill feelings towards private schools, just want them competing in the classes they should be in. In my opinion if you can draw kids to your school and your non boundaried then the multiplier should always be in affect because that's where the unfair advantage lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kampy 32 View Post
    I think as the program becomes stronger more kids are intrigued, parents included, to go to Montini knowing they have a good chance at getting to the finals. I think it's unfair to allow a waiver for private schools and can pull kids from a 30 mile radius to attend their school. Name a public school that big in district size.

Like Stangs I have no ill feelings towards private schools, just want them competing in the classes they should be in. In my opinion if you can draw kids to your school and your non boundaried then the multiplier should always be in affect because that's where the unfair advantage lies.
    Problem again goes back to the multiplier being the same for every private school when its very clear that every private school is not the same.

I would guess that there arent as many senior year wrestling transfers to Montini as there are football ones.

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stangs4ever View Post
    To be fair...I have never cared what schools "get kids". I have only cared that that particular school is put into the correct class for the postseason.

As for Montini wrestling I am not aware of how they get their kids. Are there a lot of senior transfers into Montini wrestling as their are in football?
    I'm not talking about transfers--for an 8th grader making his HS choice can you still say "well, they can recruit--of course they're good in football and wrestling" when at this point it's probably not that. It's the fact that they're good, everyone knows they're good and it becomes a bit like perpetual motion. As long as they keep winning, well, they'll probably keep winning. A certain parent/kid want to be a part of that. If the kid is going to a parochial school anyway it helps the choice along. If they're on the fence public/private maybe it boosts them over.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.---Omar Little

My name is Sip Rogers.
    I go to Abraham Lincoln High School.
    I play the two-spot.
    We're the Railspllitters, and nobody's ****in' with us.

I'm rollin' like a Big Shot.

I'm not talking about transfers--for an 8th grader making his HS choice can you still say "well, they can recruit--of course they're good in football and wrestling" when at this point it's probably not that. It's the fact that they're good, everyone knows they're good and it becomes a bit like perpetual motion. As long as they keep winning, well, they'll probably keep winning. A certain parent/kid want to be a part of that. If the kid is going to a parochial school anyway it helps the choice along. If they're on the fence public/private maybe it boosts them over.
    Recruiting isnt my issue. I dont have a problem with any kid going anywhere. If the kid goes somewhere as a freshman thats where he goes. If he is all-conference as a junior and then heads to Montini for his senior year it starts to get kind of ridiculous. The "varsity" transfers are the biggest deal here and as far as I can find Montini gets more senior transfers than anyone. Their multiplier should reflect that. Maybe a 2.0 multiplier for a senior transfer.

Im not really 100% sure how much Montini wins WITHOUT the transfers. They certainly get quite a few of them.

Plus Member

The other day on 1450Am here in Springfield, I listened to a gent drone on and on about the unfair Multiplier for "Other Sports" for Parochial Schools. Rupert Nailed it 100% you mean, you don't know, going in, that there is a Multiplier that effects their sports come Playoff Time? The agreed "Policy" to participate in the IHSA playoff system was the Multiplier. It takes into effect the unbounded effect of drawing kids from a 30 mile radius of your campus! That agreed upon Multiplied Number is known to ALL!

What is in question here is the "Special Dispensation" that Parochial Schools can apply for with the IHSA.

The latest 2 "Granted Dispensations" just happened to occur with teams Athens has played against. Althoff and Saint Theresa. Both went on to State Title games in a "Dispensated" year. Althoff went on to play Rochester in 4A playoff games in subsequent years. St. T will once again be 3A after a Title game in 1A.

Bottom Line! YES....Indeed the Multiplier is arbitrary!

Confidence:
    The belief that you can achieve at anything as long as you are willing to try!

I'll take a team of confident kids any day

2015 Montini over Prairie Ridge in 6A semifinal. Game winning TD on a forced fumble and return by Kapp...transfer. Its crazy how this happens....

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738