Thread: Basketball call question

Default Basketball call question

During the Pawnee at Auburn basketball game a jump ball situation occurred in the 4th quarter that leaves me questioning the call. Pawnee got a jump ball with Auburn but the possession was incorrect at the scorers table, which had Auburn having possession who had the ball to start the 2nd half. The head coach caught the problem just after Auburn inbounded the ball. The official, who were terrible, stopped play and stated the it should have been Pawnees ball BUT since Auburn had the possession they would keep it. My question is was that the correct call or should Pawnee had the ball?

At the time of the call Pawnee had got the game to with 2 points and had all the momentum but the Auburn possession led to a foul and two points.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta490 View Post
    During the Pawnee at Auburn basketball game a jump ball situation occurred in the 4th quarter that leaves me questioning the call. Pawnee got a jump ball with Auburn but the possession was incorrect at the scorers table, which had Auburn having possession who had the ball to start the 2nd half. The head coach caught the problem just after Auburn inbounded the ball. The official, who were terrible, stopped play and stated the it should have been Pawnees ball BUT since Auburn had the possession they would keep it. My question is was that the correct call or should Pawnee had the ball?

At the time of the call Pawnee had got the game to with 2 points and had all the momentum but the Auburn possession led to a foul and two points.
    Not correctable after the throw-in ends so the terrible officials got it right. However, the arrow should have then been pointed to Pawnee to get the next throw-in, which it probably was. It is easy for the fans, coaches (and the table) to miss a jump ball or another reason for alternating possession. Are you sure it was indeed incorrect? Reason I ask, you state this was the 4th period and Auburn had gotten the ball to start the second half (which really doesn't matter). Who got the ball to begin the 4th period? How many alternating possessions were there in between?

Clearly what was more important was the need to bash the officials with absurdly bad grammar.

I don't know who the crew was and anything posted in a negative way on this site means the team the poster was rooting for lost, BUT, there is simply no reason for the crew to have an incorrect arrow. The FIRST thing you do is check to make sure the arrow has been switched after an AP throw in. It takes a MILLISECOND to glance over and see if they switched it. If they forget to change it, take care of it on the first whistle of the quarter. C'mon guys, it's not that hard.

OP never confirmed it was indeed wrong. I agree though, pretty easy to make sure it was correct. But I am sure you have officiated a game where you are about to inbound the ball and the horn goes off as the table is waving you over. It doesn't matter how sure you are, the fact that they called you over to verify is enough to make the crowd think it may be wrong and that their team is getting "cheated".