Thread: Question about unusual play

Plus Member

Default Question about unusual play

I saw a play today that I don't think I've ever seen before, and I'm curious as to whether the correct call was made. It didn't matter to the outcome of the game, just wondering about the call.

Anyway - Runner at 1st with nobody out. Runner is stealing 2nd while the batter hits a flyball into right field. The right fielder catches the ball and throws it toward first base while the runner is standing on 2nd and making no effort to advance/retreat since he doesn't know where the ball is. The right fielder's throw hits the lip of the outfield grass/infield dirt and somehow goes almost 90 degrees straight into the first base dugout.

The umpires call time and after about two minutes of discussion they award the runner 2nd base.

I thought that runners get two bases from the time of the throw on any throw from the outfield that goes out of play, but with the lack of a tag up on said play I am frankly not 100 percent sure.

McAdoo
    E-mail me at: McAdooIHSS@hotmail.com Everything is welcomed!!!
    18,690 posts on old board
    "Criticism in the hands of the individual is smart and rational.
    Criticism in the hands of the small cabal is only propaganda." -WCG

FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS AND A SPIN!!!

If he was still standing on second, should have been awarded home. Yet the defense still can appeal him not tagging up. If they appeal it, hes out and no run. Since he was still standing on second at time the ball went out of play he cannot return to 1st to tag up. Had he been in the process of going back and between 1st and 2nd, he would be allowed to tag 1st then awarded third base for the throw.
    May God Bless, "35 Strong".
    306 is my new favorite number!

2 bases = home. The fact that the runner was vulnerable to an appeal is irrelevant.
    Live Fast, Cy Young davidamilner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    2 bases = home. The fact that the runner was vulnerable to an appeal is irrelevant.
    Can a coach refuse to accept the advancement of the runner? If you're awarded the bases, but then the pitcher can step off and throw over resulting in an out, I as the coach wouldn't want that so can I refuse the 2 base advancement and tell my runner to go back to first?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kaiser View Post
    Can a coach refuse to accept the advancement of the runner? If you're awarded the bases, but then the pitcher can step off and throw over resulting in an out, I as the coach wouldn't want that so can I refuse the 2 base advancement and tell my runner to go back to first?
    Nope and he has to tag 3rd on the way or the defense would have two options on appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Nope and he has to tag 3rd on the way or the defense would have two options on appeal.
    So basically, if this play would have been ruled correctly by the umps, it would have benefited the team in the field when they are the ones who had the throwing error? Because any coach with just a little experience would know no tag up occurred and they would appeal the tag up. Am I reading all of this correctly?

Plus Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I had a gut feeling at the time the play happened that the umpires putting the runner at 2nd was incorrect and instead should have awarded the runner home plate. However, I just had never seen this kind of play with a runner not tagging up so I wasn't sure enough about my understanding of the rules.

In fairness, both coaches didn't question the ruling at all and the game just continued as normal. I would like to think the defense's coach would have asked for more explanation if the game was closer, however this play happened in the 6th inning of an 8-0 ballgame.

Thanks again.

McAdoo
    Last edited by McAdoo; 05-09-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    E-mail me at: McAdooIHSS@hotmail.com Everything is welcomed!!!
    18,690 posts on old board
    "Criticism in the hands of the individual is smart and rational.
    Criticism in the hands of the small cabal is only propaganda." -WCG

FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS AND A SPIN!!!

So basically, if this play would have been ruled correctly by the umps, it would have benefited the team in the field when they are the ones who had the throwing error? Because any coach with just a little experience would know no tag up occurred and they would appeal the tag up. Am I reading all of this correctly?
    There was a base-running mistake as well the had nothing to do with the defense. The runner was on second when it went out of play. He gave up his rights to return to first.

Quote Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys. I had a gut feeling at the time the play happened that the umpires putting the runner at 2nd was incorrect and instead should have awarded the runner home plate. However, I just had never seen this kind of play with a runner not tagging up so I wasn't sure enough about my understanding of the rules.

In fairness, both coaches didn't question the ruling at all and the game just continued as normal. I would like to think the defense's coach would have asked for more explanation if the game was closer, however this play happened in the 6th inning of an 8-0 ballgame.

Thanks again.

McAdoo

The play was kicked by the offense, the defense AND Blue. You don't see that very often.

I guess the offense may have known the rule and was just happy to have a runner on second.

The runner had every chance to return yet stood on second(if I read the play correctly) The rule is that no runner can return to tag up or return to touch a missed base if he is passed or occupies another advanced base when the ball goes out of play or time is called.. Had he only attempted to return he would have been allowed to touch.
    May God Bless, "35 Strong".
    306 is my new favorite number!