Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 3A & 4A Poll Discussion

Plus Member

I seen Peotone a couple times this summer there Quarterback is pretty solid and capable they just prefer not to throw the ball. I think Wilmington's defense will show some grit and Peotone will have to make some plays in the passing game. Should be a really physical game.

Plus Member

The I8 posters can help with this.

So how has Peotone made such a turnaround this year? They've got 2 really good backs from what I hear but I haven't really heard how they went from a team that got shut out by Reed Custer last year to a top 3 team this year.

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedNBlack View Post
    The I8 posters can help with this.

So how has Peotone made such a turnaround this year? They've got 2 really good backs from what I hear but I haven't really heard how they went from a team that got shut out by Reed Custer last year to a top 3 team this year.
    I can help a little. First the Reed Custer loss was a bit of a surprise last year but Reed Custer did win 3 games last season and were alot more competitive than they had been. Still a game Peotone should of won. Peotone wasnt too far off from making playoffs last year. Lost 19-13 week 1 vs Manteno they dominated Time of Possession their stud cramped up as they were in a first and goal situation if he doesnt go out they probably score and win. They also lost a 10-6 heartbreaker to Coal City.

Return like 17 or 18 starters really good offseason big and strong up front. They run the ball shorten the game and play pretty solid defense nothing fancy. A solid football team

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bighitter11 View Post
    I can help a little. First the Reed Custer loss was a bit of a surprise last year but Reed Custer did win 3 games last season and were alot more competitive than they had been. Still a game Peotone should of won. Peotone wasnt too far off from making playoffs last year. Lost 19-13 week 1 vs Manteno they dominated Time of Possession their stud cramped up as they were in a first and goal situation if he doesnt go out they probably score and win. They also lost a 10-6 heartbreaker to Coal City.

Return like 17 or 18 starters really good offseason big and strong up front. They run the ball shorten the game and play pretty solid defense nothing fancy. A solid football team
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like Wilmo might be rebuilding a bit this year but it's still Wilmington and I don't they've lost a conference game in quite a while so a win by Peotone definitely would catch my attention for next week's poll (not that my opinion matters much ha!).

Plus Member
    within 25 miles of 3 nuclear power plants

Quote Originally Posted by RedNBlack View Post
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like Wilmo might be rebuilding a bit this year but it's still Wilmington and I don't they've lost a conference game in quite a while so a win by Peotone definitely would catch my attention for next week's poll (not that my opinion matters much ha!).
    Last conference (division) game they lost was 2007 13-8 to eventual 3a champ Plano
    Is it Friday yet?

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by 25sparky View Post
    Whats your thoughts on this weeks game 44? Low scoring?
    Peotone 28
    Wilmington 14

Peotone is going to do to Wilmington what Wilmington has done to almost everyone in the I8 in the past 10 years. Pound the ball relentlessly. This is a down year for Wilmo, they will be back next year but this is Peotones year in the I8 Small
    Coaler Pride never Dies!

Bronze Club - Nov 11, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor D View Post
    Last conference (division) game they lost was 2007 13-8 to eventual 3a champ Plano
    Wow. Thats Newmanesque! Impressive.
    My SIG was taken because I doubted dcaudle

Newman hasn't gone nearly that long have they? I'm guessing Morrison got them during their championship years right?

Bronze Club - Nov 11, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd39 View Post
    Newman hasn't gone nearly that long have they? I'm guessing Morrison got them during their championship years right?
    No they havent gone that long and they probably havent won as many as it seems. Bureau Valley had a good run in there too.

We DID lose to them regular season in 2011 so we won state but didnt win the conference.

Ill look into it to see though now that its been mentioned.
    My SIG was taken because I doubted dcaudle

Tough injury losses for Burlington Central, St. Edward

Burlington Central and St. Edward each lost a key football player to a season-ending knee injury this week.

St. Edward senior safety/wide receiver Saveon Smith was given the bad news Monday. The injury he suffered in a Week 2 loss to Chicago Hope Academy? A torn ACL and torn MCL.

Burlington Central junior quarterback Johnny DiCostanzo was diagnosed Tuesday with a torn ACL and torn meniscus, suffered while pitching the ball in the third quarter of Friday's 38-7 win over Rockford Lutheran.

For St. Edward, which began the season with 23 players, losing a two-way standout like Smith, a player 13th-year coach Mike Rolando considers among the best defensive backs in Green Wave history, is a particularly tough blow.

A four-year varsity player, Smith had 6 catches for 156 yards and 3 touchdowns before he suffered the noncontact injury while running a route to the opposite side of the field where the ball was thrown on a 2-point conversion. He also missed the final 4 games of the 2016 season with an ankle injury.

"I feel for all the kids when they're in this situation," Rolando said. "It has nothing to do with wins or losses or the success of the team at that point. You just hate seeing football torn away from them. Being teammates, being brothers on the field, those are the things you take with you. To see Saveon or any player suddenly lose his senior year to injury, it's just a heartbreaker.

"We started with 23 and we're down to 22. They're all upper classmen. There are no younger guys playing until we need them but we're super thin. We have good quality one deep."

Rolando is confident Smith will still be able to play college football.

"He played four years of varsity football," Rolando said. "He's got enough film. We'll find him a home somewhere."

St. Edward (2-1) plays Guerin (0-3) in a Metro Suburban Conference crossover in River Grove on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.

Losing DiCostanzo is a blow to the Rockets (2-1). Through two and a half games the second-year quarterback had completed 27 of 53 pass attempts for 270 yards and 6 touchdowns and had thrown 6 interceptions.

"I just feel really bad for Johnny," Central second-year coach Brian Melvin said. "It's unfortunate. He was starting to find his way."

It's the second time in three weeks a Central team leader has been lost to a season-ending injury. Middle linebacker Ryan Doubek broke his hand in the season opener at Byron.

Sophomore Jake Lenschow (6-foot-2, 175 pounds) stepped in last week to replace DiCostanzo and completed 2 of 3 passes for 23 yards. A tall, slender pocket passer with good mobility, the three-sport athlete gets the nod as Central's starting quarterback the rest of the way. He has the confidence of his coach.
    One Tin Soldier Rides Away

Plus Member

Wilmo streak continues on...

What a win for Coach Reents and the program.
    Is it Friday yet?

Not sure what Class but see Peoria High edged Peoria Notre Dame 82-80
    "I will never doubt Derek Leonard again"

Plus Member

Johnsburg looks like the real deal again. Not ready to say they can beat Rochester yet, but looks like a strong contender in the north half.
    Is it Friday yet?

Plus Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsFootballfan33 View Post
    1. EIC
    2. Herscher
    3. Byron
    4. Tolono
    5. Williamsville
    6. Wilmington
    7. Monticello
    8. BCC
    9. St T
    10. Carlinville
    What happened to Herscher that you dropped them back down to 2???

Plus Member

Crazy stat line for the Dempsay kid from Wilmo.

Led the team in rushing (116) and receiving (77) yards. Was only second on the team in passing going 3-4 for 85 yards...

Accounted for three TDs. Caught one, threw one and ran one in.
    Is it Friday yet?

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast