Go Back   IllinoisHighSchoolSports.com > Extras > Prayers/Condolences/Thoughts

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #2101
Big Daddy
Bronze Club - Dec 18, 2014

Default 9.25.14

That Good Part
Josh Campbell

Ready
"The Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice.'”
— Luke 10:41–42a

Set
It’s easy to make our way through the winning seasons; however, the struggles we face during losing seasons are what we tend to remember most. Most of us have experienced seasons where we’ve tried every plan we can think of, yet the team still struggles. It was during a season like this that Christ’s “good part” was revealed to me. The season began with one of our leading scorers breaking his foot. The problems mounted throughout the season, and the players and coaching staff began to buckle under the pressure. Arguments began and I started to worry about the team’s demise.

At that point I turned to an intense study of God’s Word and came across the story of Martha and Mary hosting Jesus in their home. When I discovered how Christ gently rebuked Martha about her anxious focus on insignificant things rather than on Christ, our season began to change.

The Holy Spirit placed on my heart others who were experiencing struggles of much greater magnitude than team success. Our leading scorer, who was injured, sat in emotional turmoil as he watched his teammates struggle on the court. Meanwhile, one of our most faithful fans, a student with muscular dystrophy, sat on the sidelines thankful for his ability simply to watch the game. As these two burdened my heart, I couldn’t help but think that my worries, like Martha’s, were minor by comparison. Although our win column did not improve much, once our team’s focus was on Christ’s “good part,” our season was purposeful because it brought glory to God.

Go
1. Is your coaching philosophy based on Christ’s “good part”?
2. Do you focus on the things of this life or do you put God ahead of everything else?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Psalm 27:4
Matthew 6:25–34

Overtime
Father, I ask that You would continue to reveal to my heart that good part. I hope to impact Your kingdom with eternal purposes rather than the ways of the world. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #2102
Big Daddy

Default 9.26.14

Second in Command
Geoff Cannon

Ready “Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night, so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. Have I not commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
— Joshua 1:7–9

Set
No matter where we are in the coaching ranks of our team or sport, there are times when we are called upon to step up to the next level. This call can be both a source of excitement and great fear. Will I succeed in this new challenge? Will I lead the team to a winning season? Will God be glorified if I accept this new position?

Joshua surely asked questions like these and many more besides. He was a faithful man, a type of assistant coach over the Israelites under the direction of Moses. When Moses died, Joshua had to step up and lead God’s people. Needless to say, this was a daunting challenge because the Promised Land was yet to be conquered. So God eased his fears with some encouraging commands.

Many times in our profession we are faced with big games and job opportunities. These situations can bring fear into our lives, but we must be ready to step up. God reminds us to be strong, to do what the Bible tells us, and to meditate on His Word day and night. If we do this, God says, we will prosper and succeed.

Go
1. Are you a coach who is ready to step up when God makes known His plans for you?
2. When God presents an opportunity to you, do you turn to Him for the strength to proceed?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Deuteronomy 31:6–8

Overtime
Lord Jesus, I pray that You will ease my heart and mind of any doubts or fears I may have about Your plan for my life. I pray that when given the opportunity to lead, I will lead in a way that glorifies You. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #2103
Big Daddy

Default 9.24.14

The Hope You Have
Shane Fast

Ready
"Set your minds on what is above, not on what is on earth."
— Colossians 3:2

Set
In our culture, sports figures are elevated to star status and placed on lofty pedestals. Coaches feel great pressure to compile winning records. Yet, in spite of this trend, I believe God calls us as Christian coaches to focus on matters of the heart such as the spiritual lives of our players and fellow staff members. With every interaction, we have the opportunity to be a witness for Christ.

The movie, “King Arthur,” depicts the bravery and heroism of a group of men fighting for a cause with the intensity and dedication that a coach expects from his players. One of the most compelling lines from the movie is, “There is no worse death than the end of hope.” Truly, we are without hope if we do not focus on God. If we fix our minds on earthly things, we will never be satisfied. The losing seasons will crush our souls. We may labor during our entire careers and never experience the worldly success that affords us status among our peers, but we can still achieve success in God’s eyes if we pursue His will. With this renewed focus comes the promise that God will be our shield, our comfort, and our rock. May we cling to this hope as the backbone of our careers.

Go
1. Where do your priorities lie?
2. As believers, we are called to excellence. How do we balance this pursuit of excellence in our coaching careers with the other responsibilities God has given us?
3. Think of a time when your hope in Christ sheltered you during a trial?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Psalms 119:16; 147:11
Lamentations 3:24
1 Peter 1:20–21

Overtime
Father, thank You for giving me living hope in Your Son. I thank You for calling me to be a steward of Your grace in the coaching profession. I ask that You help me focus my mind on Your purposes, while upholding a standard of excellence in all that I do. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #2104
Big Daddy

Default 9.29.14

We or Me?
Dan Britton

Ready
"Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus."
–Philippians 2:4-5

Set
At the end of the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played, there is a scene that depicts what winning is all about. Based on a true story, 20-year-old golfer Francis Ouimet wins the 1913 U.S. Open with a fifth-grade caddie named Eddie. After accomplishing this unthinkable feat by sinking a playoff-winning putt on the 18th hole, Francis yells, “We did it!” Francis played the round of his life, but understood that he won with the help and encouragement of Eddie. This scene captured my heart and I was convicted. I’m embarrassed to say I would have yelled, “I did it!”

From this movie I was reminded that we is more powerful than me. Yet in sports, winning is usually all about me. God wants us to take up our cross daily and follow Him. We must die to self. Those are tough words. To be crucified daily means to empty ourselves and not look after our own interests only, but of others. We need to realize that competing is not about us, but about Christ within us. Dying to self, on and off the field, is a daily battle.

Imagine being on a team that has a “we” instead of “me” focus, with players who say, “We did it!” God can best use us when we sacrifice our own interests. We need to be reminded that together we win. So what will it be for you? We or me?

Go
1. If you sank a playoff-winning putt, what would you say?
2. When you have success, do you use “we” or “me”?
3. How can Christ help you sacrifice your own interests?

Workout
Matthew 20:25-28; John 13:14; 1 Peter 2:21

Overtime
Father, I admit I talk too much about my own accomplishments. I want to use “we” in my speech more than “me.” Help me to focus on others, not on myself. Thank You. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #2105
Big Daddy

Default 9.30.14

The One
Cori Close

Ready
"So she named the LORD who spoke to her: The God Who Sees, for she said, 'Have I really seen here the One who sees me?'”
— Genesis 16:13

Set
The first thing anyone asks a coach is, “How are things with your team?” When someone meets me and finds out that I am a coach, he usually asks, “Is your team good?” When I walk down the street after a game, people stop me to say, “Great win coach!” I always have a quick response, sharing all of the positive things that are going on in our program and painting our team in the best light.

I have struggled with not letting my team’s performance define me. I have battled against weighing my worth and status by my sport, or judging my success through the eyes of the fans who watch us. Thankfully, God doesn’t see me in that way at all. I often get a chance to respond to the question, “Did you win?’ when I walk on to planes with my team after games. I try to respond to them politely and then to myself say, “I won when I became a child of God.” On the average, Division I college basketball players spend 3,000 hours in their sport over 4 years, and only 4 percent of those hours are spent in games. I am not going to let that 4 percent of my time make me feel better or worse about myself. God has already said that I am one of His children. We need to remember that He is the audience who really matters.

Find something to define your identity in the midst of competition. For instance, I put a special coin in my pocket. This helps to remind me in the midst of competition why I coach, and for whom.

Go
1. How do I remind myself that God accepts and loves me regardless of my win-loss record?
2. Whom do I feel pressure to please?
3. How do I define success?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Deuteronomy 8:17–18
Psalm 139:13–14
Colossians 3:4
1 Peter 2:9

Overtime
Lord, thank You that You love me more than I can comprehend. Please help me to remember that You are the One whom I serve and that my worth comes from You and not from other people. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #2106
Big Daddy

Default 10.01.14

True Humility
Clay Elliott

Ready
Likewise, you younger men, be subject to the elders. And all of you clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
–1 Peter 5:5

Set
Louis Garza moved into our neighborhood when he was in the sixth grade. He was big, strong, fast, . . . and humble. He was easily the best athlete in our whole group, and we had a lot of really good athletes. But Louis was different; he willingly did anything for the good of the team.

It’s always tough trying to fit into a new group, but Louis slipped into ours easily. He didn’t demand anything. As a matter of fact, Louis was so humble that he always tried to get his weaker teammates to experience the more glamorous positions. He wanted others to feel special and succeed.

Most of us don’t strive to be humble or desire to be subject to others. Most of us don’t want to serve anybody, especially those inferior to us in intelligence or athletic ability. God tells us not only to live in humility, but also to clothe ourselves in it. What does that mean?

Clothing ourselves is something we do every day—for the entire day. Clothing ourselves with humility means we have to put humility on, because it doesn’t come naturally. It takes effort. It takes willpower. It takes stamina. And it takes God.

True humility means to consider others as more important than ourselves. It means we need to remove our selfish desires and willingly let others get the first choice. It means to be of service to others and God for His glory. We need a lot of Louis Garzas on our teams and in our schools . . . why not you?

Go
1. How can you show humility today?
2. Whom will you serve today, and how will you do it?

Workout
Philippians 2:5-11

Overtime
Lord, forgive me for being selfish. Help me clothe myself in humility and see others through Your eyes. Show me how to serve in such a way that You get all the glory. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #2107
Big Daddy

Default 10.02.14

What Compels Us?
By Mike Zatopek

Ready
“For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.”
-2 Corinthians 5:14-15

Set
As a sophomore in junior college, playing baseball was the primary way I found value in life. However, when it turned out that I wasn’t cutting it on the baseball field, my coach told me to consider trying football. He’d often said that “we reap what we sow” during his talks about how Jesus Christ could impact our lives and even our baseball careers. Personally, my motivation had always been self-centered and about me. But I was now facing the end of something I had depended on since childhood to get the affirmation I craved. The Holy Spirit had been calling me, though, and later that day, I accepted Jesus as my Savior and Lord.

Through Him, I found a greater purpose for life, and as God turned my heart toward pleasing Him, I found something greater to motivate me not only in life but in athletics. With my life and game transformed, I ended the season with a scholarship from the University of Texas in Austin. It was there that I made Christian friends through FCA and began to grow spiritually and learn about the love of God. Before, I had been motivated by my selfish desires for attention and the favor of others. Now I knew the love of God and began to be “compelled” by His awesome and indescribable love.

I’ve known many people both in and out of sports whose driving forces in life are greed, fame and empty pride. Those, unfortunately all lead to an empty life. We don’t always win in life, and the world seems to only love us when we are on top of our game. Then they are ready to either forget us or condemn us when we stumble. But God’s love is different…He loves us “even while we are sinners” (Romans 5:8) and He loves us “with an everlasting love” (Jeremiah 3:31)!

What compels you in your life? Are the cheers of the crowd the only compelling reasons you play the game? Or, is the pure, everlasting and incredible love of God going to be the wind that fills your sails? My prayer for my children and all who read this is that we would come to know how great God’s love is for us and that He desires only good things for us regardless of our performance. The freedom we have in Him allows us to move forward in spite of our failures when we are compelled by the love of our Father in heaven.

Go
1. What compels you to be who you are and do what you do?
2. What compels you play your sport?
3. Can a deeper understanding of God's love help transform the reasons for your actions?
4. Is your motivation rooted in God's love for you and your love for Him and others?

Workout
John 17:20-26
Galatians 5:13-14
Ephesians 3:14-19

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #2108
Big Daddy

Default 10.03.14

The Heart of Serving
Dan Britton

Ready
"Based on the gift they have received, everyone should use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God. If anyone speaks, [his speech should be] like the oracles of God; if anyone serves, [his service should be] from the strength God provides, so that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To Him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen."
-1 Peter 4:10-11 (HCSB)

Set
Bottom line -- it is hard to serve others in the arena of competition. I remember the one great story that happened in 1976 at a Special Olympics track and field event in Spokane, Washington. During the race, one contestant took a tumble, and one of the other athletes turned back to help the fallen one. They both finished the race and crossed the finish line together. This was a classic example of a one competitor serving another in competition.

What does it mean to serve others when competing? If it had been you in the situation abover, would you have turned to go back? When it comes to serving others as an athlete or coach, there are 4 P's at the Heart of Serving that God can use in our lives: Power, Purpose, Plan and Passion.

1. The Power of Serving
There is power in serving others. Not natural power but supernatural power. It is not about getting power but giving power. Many people serve so that they can be served. This is not serving that pleases God. Power comes through purity. We need to be anointed competitors, set apart for God purposes and ready to be used by Him. In 2 Timothy 2:21-22, Paul writes, "So if anyone purifies himself from these things, he will be a special instrument, set apart, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work. Flee from youthful passions, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."

2. The Purpose of Serving
The purpose of serving is "For His Glory" -- that is, God's glory. After we have served others, they should say, "God is good," not "You are good." The purpose of serving is to lift the name of Jesus. Period. Rick Warren says, "We serve God by serving others. The world defines greatness in terms of power, possessions, prestige and position. In our self-serving culture with its me-first mentality, acting like a servant is not a popular concept." When we serve, we represent to the world what Jesus looks like.

3. The Plan of Serving
The game plan of serving is to take every gift, skill, talent and ability that God has given you and use it to serve others. You experience joy when you do what God has created you to do. When serving, there needs to be intentionality (plan it), intensity (seize it) and intimacy (feel it).

4. The Passion of Serving
The passion comes from the heart. As competitors, we know all about passion. But do we have passion to serve. Does it consume us? Do we hit the field and say, "Who can I serve today at practice?" Samuel Chadwick nailed it when he wrote these words. "Spirit-filled souls are ablaze for God. They love with a love that glows. They serve with a faith that kindles. They serve with a devotion that consumes. They hate sin with fierceness that burns. They rejoice with a joy that radiates. Love is perfected in the fire of God."

Go
1. Is there power in your serving?
2. Is there a purpose when you serve your teammates?
3. Do you have a specific plan to serve others? Are you using your gifts to serve?
4. Are you serving with a passion that consumes?

Workout
Extra Reading:
John 13:1-20

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #2109
Big Daddy

Default 10.04.14

The Eyes of the Lord
FCA Resources

Ready
“For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him.”
-2 Chronicles 16:9

Set
One day, the team was practicing when their coach had to leave for a minute. Once the coach was out of sight, the team started acting up and shooting half-court shots. Suddenly, out of nowhere they heard a voice say, ”I saw that.” One player made the comment, “Man, Coach must have eyes everywhere.” In sports, the eyes of a coach are always watching even when no one thinks they are looking.

The eyes of the Lord are always watching, as well. God’s Word is very clear about how God is watching us. Why does He watch over us? He loves us too much not too. But, I know that many still struggle with the fact the God is watching. Some see His attentiveness as His not wanting anything good to happen for us. Others look at it as though He is playing good cop/bad cop. Still others feel like He is trying to catch them doing bad all the time. That is the wrong impression of God. The eyes of the Lord watch us because He loves us.

How does it make you feel that the eyes of the Lord are watching you? As we live for Christ, this should give us confidence that He cares about us. Throughout God’s Word we read about those who found favor in the eyes of the Lord and others who did evil. When God watches you, what does He see?

Like the coach who always seems to see everything, our God does see everything, and His eyes are looking for those who want to follow Him.

Go
1. How does it make you feel to know that God is watching over you?
2. God sees the good, the bad and the ugly in our lives. When do you wish He was not watching?
3. What is the positive side of His seeing us during our sinful behavior?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Genesis 6:8
Psalm 34:15
Proverbs 5:21; 15:3
1 Peter 3:12

Overtime
Heavenly Father, I want to be blameless before You. Thank You for loving me and keeping an eye on me. Help me to clean up my thoughts, words, and actions so that they bring You glory. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sin. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #2110
Big Daddy

Default 10.06.14

Warning Against Idleness
Josh Carter

Ready
"We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat."
-2 Thessalonians 3:11-12

Set
Today's lesson comes from a few years ago when former Los Angeles Lakers star Magic Johnson expressed his frustration regarding the lack of effort displayed by the Lakers after Game Three of the 2004 NBA Finals against the Detroit Pistons. "I am angry," Johnson said at the time. "You have to compete, and we're not competing. No one is welcoming anyone to the bench. Guys are sitting there, wandering off into the crowd, defeated. We've got to get that look off our faces and play basketball the way it's supposed to be played."

In the verse from 2 Thessalonians, Paul is warning the believers there against idleness, as many in his day were sitting around waiting for the Day of the Lord to come and were eating bread they did not earn.

When able-bodied Christians choose not to work they become a burden to others, thus hindering the Gospel. Do you know anyone who enjoys being around lazy people? My guess is that those who do are lazy themselves. Paul gave a rule for laziness in verse 10, "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Today, I urge you to work with all your heart at whatever you do (Colossians 3:23)!

Go
1. Is there idleness in any area of your life (sports, work, home, school, etc.)?
2. How is this affecting your performance? Your team?
3. How is it affecting your witness for Christ?

Workout
Proverbs 10:4
Proverbs 14:23
1 Thessalonians 5:14
2 Thessalonians 3:6-13

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #2111
Big Daddy

Default 10.07.14

What We Leave Behind
Kristina Myles

Ready
“For all flesh is like grass, and all its glory like a flower of the grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord endures forever.”
- 1 Peter 1:24-25a

Set
As a student athlete who recently graduated, I understand what it’s like to come to terms with life after college athletics. It’s not an easy process to accept that your time of competing for your school is over. With a new class of athletes, it can be disappointing to see that you have been easily replaced. It’s a hard pill to swallow, often coated with a dose of pride. And all those statistics and awards that were such a big deal are quickly erased by another player. But in the mist of the transition, one thing remains constant: the influence we leave behind on our teammates, coaches and even opponents. Knowing that far surpasses any achievement on the field! We often focus so much time and energy into our sport, even though it will eventually come to an end, while we neglect the influence God desires us to have on those around us. God’s glory can be reflected in everything we do as an athlete: on the field, on the bench, in the locker room. And the impact His glory has on others, unlike our performance, will last forever. God’s hand is upon us, so let’s seek opportunities to reflect His name in every area of our lives and leave behind an imprint that never fades.

Go
1. How do you a measure a successful career?
2. What do you measure it up against?
3. In what areas do you feel God is calling you to reflect Him more?

Workout
1 Peter 3:15 Isaiah 40

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #2112
Big Daddy

Default 10.08.14

Glory by Default
Jeff Martin

Ready
“And they glorified God because of me.”
-Galatians 1:24

Set
When God transforms a person’s life, it always leads people to realize His glory. In cases of true transformation at the work of His Holy Spirit, the power of God will be what is most noticed, not the power or personal glory of the individual whose life was changed.

There is a natural tendency in all of us to replace the word “God” with the word “me” when we read the verse above from Galatians 1:24. But there is incredible power in a life that shuns the pursuit of self and surrenders everything for the pursuit of God.

Sports is a natural breeding ground for pride. By simply possessing and using their God-given athletic ability, athletes receive lots of attention and praise. It brings glory by default, and it happens whether they want it or not. This is why there is such a burst of light in the darkness when an athlete or coach takes that glory and lays it at the feet of Jesus Christ. It is the deflection of praise instead of the acceptance of it that causes the world to take notice that there is something different. Glory to God is always most powerful when glory to self is defeated.

In November 2010, a young 12-year-old athlete known for his big smile quietly and humbly made a decision to accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. His name was Justin Bloxom, and he was attending a Fields of Faith event being held at his local high school’s football stadium in Louisiana. Just four months after his decision, Justin stepped into eternity when he was murdered by a noted criminal.

Unquestionably, Justin had made the most important decision of his life at the stadium that November night, and since his tragic death countless people have been impacted for eternity. Justin’s simple act of faith has caused many to accept Christ, and many others to pursue a bolder, more urgent life for God. His life and his death are making a difference for the Kingdom! It is glory by default.

Just as it can be said of Justin, “And they glorified God because of me,” may it be said of every one of us today.

Go
1. As an athlete or coach, how connected are you to the natural tendency in all of us to relish the glory we receive from performance, stats and wins? Ask God to help you seek His glory instead of yours.
2. Do you think others glorify God when you succeed, or do they glorify you? How do your actions contribute to that result?
3. The presence of pride in our hearts is often hard to detect. Why is it so hard to notice?
4. None of us is guaranteed tomorrow. How can you bring glory to God today?

Workout
Psalm 57:5
John 5:44
John 8:54

Overtime
To read the full story of Justin Bloxom click here To learn more about Fields of Faith, check out www.fieldsoffaith.com.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #2113
Big Daddy

Default 10.09.14

Tunnel Vision
Michael Hill

Ready
Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God’s heavenly call in Christ Jesus.
–Philippians 3:13-14

Set “That’s never been done here before.” “We’ve never been to the state playoffs.” “We’ve never beaten them before.” How many times have athletes looked at past seasons as the standard for the current season? The past can be a great thing when kept in perspective.

At times we get caught up in looking at the past. We think that what we did last year has a bearing on what we can do this year. That is true to an extent. If we don’t work hard in the off-season, the season’s competition will be a struggle. But we also need to forget past seasons in order to reach our full potential. Paul knew this well. He was the ultimate bad guy. He not only persecuted Christians, he killed them. How could someone with such a past be of any use to God? By “forgetting what is behind,” Paul accepted God’s grace and forgiveness and pressed on to the goal of what the Lord had for him. He refused to allow past mistakes to keep
him from doing the will of the Father. If Paul, who killed many Christians for their faith, can accept God’s forgiveness and put his past behind him, can’t we?

Go
1. Is your past keeping you from doing God’s will?
2. Have you accepted God’s grace and forgiveness?
3. Do you need to talk to someone about how to let go of your past?

Workout
Jeremiah 29:11; Romans 3:23-24; 6:1-14; Galatians 2:20; Hebrews 6:1

Overtime
Father, fill me with Your Spirit and guide me. Please forgive my past mistakes and free me from the guilt that comes with them. Help me to focus on what is ahead instead of what is behind. Lord, give me the strength to press on. Take this day and use it for Your glory. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #2114
Big Daddy

Default 10.21.14

Trash Talking
Pat Street

Ready
“For the mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart.”
— Matthew 12:34b

Set
In 1998, the Ohio State Buckeyes beat Northwestern 36–10, but personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct tainted the win. OSU’s coach at the time, John Cooper, made a point to his number-one ranked team, emphasizing that there is no place in football for trash talking and taunting and that it can be a distraction more than a help. Guard Rob Murphy said, “He got his point across.”

Discussing the numerous flags that were thrown during the game, Cooper demanded that the trash-talk behavior stop. Again Murphy said, “I agree. We need to play more and talk less.”

“You can have a good, tough, hard-nosed football game without all that stuff,” Cooper continued. “I think college football would want to do more to prevent trash talking. It seems like we’re more worried about a guy celebrating in the end zone after a touchdown than with what else is going on during the game.”

Is there a place in sports for trash talking? I don’t think so, and I agree with coach Cooper that it is a distraction.

Jesus said, “For the mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart” (Matt. 12:34). As Rob Murphy said, “Play more and talk less.” Play with the character that’s reflective of a heart surrendered to the Lord. It is not our accomplishments that influence others, but our character. Trash talking means we must belittle our opponents in order to build ourselves up as greater and better than them. That type of behavior is both unsportsmanlike and unworthy of a follower of Christ.

Go
1. Is it easy for you to trash talk?
2. If so, why?
3. How do you think the Lord wants you to change such behavior?

Workout
Matthew 12:34; James 3:1–12

Overtime
Lord, I need help with my mouth. Take total control of my heart. I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog