Go Back   IllinoisHighSchoolSports.com > Extras > Prayers/Condolences/Thoughts

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #2101
Big Daddy
Bronze Club - Dec 18, 2014

Default 9.25.14

That Good Part
Josh Campbell

Ready
"The Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice.'”
— Luke 10:41–42a

Set
It’s easy to make our way through the winning seasons; however, the struggles we face during losing seasons are what we tend to remember most. Most of us have experienced seasons where we’ve tried every plan we can think of, yet the team still struggles. It was during a season like this that Christ’s “good part” was revealed to me. The season began with one of our leading scorers breaking his foot. The problems mounted throughout the season, and the players and coaching staff began to buckle under the pressure. Arguments began and I started to worry about the team’s demise.

At that point I turned to an intense study of God’s Word and came across the story of Martha and Mary hosting Jesus in their home. When I discovered how Christ gently rebuked Martha about her anxious focus on insignificant things rather than on Christ, our season began to change.

The Holy Spirit placed on my heart others who were experiencing struggles of much greater magnitude than team success. Our leading scorer, who was injured, sat in emotional turmoil as he watched his teammates struggle on the court. Meanwhile, one of our most faithful fans, a student with muscular dystrophy, sat on the sidelines thankful for his ability simply to watch the game. As these two burdened my heart, I couldn’t help but think that my worries, like Martha’s, were minor by comparison. Although our win column did not improve much, once our team’s focus was on Christ’s “good part,” our season was purposeful because it brought glory to God.

Go
1. Is your coaching philosophy based on Christ’s “good part”?
2. Do you focus on the things of this life or do you put God ahead of everything else?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Psalm 27:4
Matthew 6:25–34

Overtime
Father, I ask that You would continue to reveal to my heart that good part. I hope to impact Your kingdom with eternal purposes rather than the ways of the world. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #2102
Big Daddy

Default 9.26.14

Second in Command
Geoff Cannon

Ready “Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night, so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. Have I not commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
— Joshua 1:7–9

Set
No matter where we are in the coaching ranks of our team or sport, there are times when we are called upon to step up to the next level. This call can be both a source of excitement and great fear. Will I succeed in this new challenge? Will I lead the team to a winning season? Will God be glorified if I accept this new position?

Joshua surely asked questions like these and many more besides. He was a faithful man, a type of assistant coach over the Israelites under the direction of Moses. When Moses died, Joshua had to step up and lead God’s people. Needless to say, this was a daunting challenge because the Promised Land was yet to be conquered. So God eased his fears with some encouraging commands.

Many times in our profession we are faced with big games and job opportunities. These situations can bring fear into our lives, but we must be ready to step up. God reminds us to be strong, to do what the Bible tells us, and to meditate on His Word day and night. If we do this, God says, we will prosper and succeed.

Go
1. Are you a coach who is ready to step up when God makes known His plans for you?
2. When God presents an opportunity to you, do you turn to Him for the strength to proceed?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Deuteronomy 31:6–8

Overtime
Lord Jesus, I pray that You will ease my heart and mind of any doubts or fears I may have about Your plan for my life. I pray that when given the opportunity to lead, I will lead in a way that glorifies You. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #2103
Big Daddy

Default 9.24.14

The Hope You Have
Shane Fast

Ready
"Set your minds on what is above, not on what is on earth."
— Colossians 3:2

Set
In our culture, sports figures are elevated to star status and placed on lofty pedestals. Coaches feel great pressure to compile winning records. Yet, in spite of this trend, I believe God calls us as Christian coaches to focus on matters of the heart such as the spiritual lives of our players and fellow staff members. With every interaction, we have the opportunity to be a witness for Christ.

The movie, “King Arthur,” depicts the bravery and heroism of a group of men fighting for a cause with the intensity and dedication that a coach expects from his players. One of the most compelling lines from the movie is, “There is no worse death than the end of hope.” Truly, we are without hope if we do not focus on God. If we fix our minds on earthly things, we will never be satisfied. The losing seasons will crush our souls. We may labor during our entire careers and never experience the worldly success that affords us status among our peers, but we can still achieve success in God’s eyes if we pursue His will. With this renewed focus comes the promise that God will be our shield, our comfort, and our rock. May we cling to this hope as the backbone of our careers.

Go
1. Where do your priorities lie?
2. As believers, we are called to excellence. How do we balance this pursuit of excellence in our coaching careers with the other responsibilities God has given us?
3. Think of a time when your hope in Christ sheltered you during a trial?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Psalms 119:16; 147:11
Lamentations 3:24
1 Peter 1:20–21

Overtime
Father, thank You for giving me living hope in Your Son. I thank You for calling me to be a steward of Your grace in the coaching profession. I ask that You help me focus my mind on Your purposes, while upholding a standard of excellence in all that I do. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #2104
Big Daddy

Default 9.29.14

We or Me?
Dan Britton

Ready
"Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus."
–Philippians 2:4-5

Set
At the end of the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played, there is a scene that depicts what winning is all about. Based on a true story, 20-year-old golfer Francis Ouimet wins the 1913 U.S. Open with a fifth-grade caddie named Eddie. After accomplishing this unthinkable feat by sinking a playoff-winning putt on the 18th hole, Francis yells, “We did it!” Francis played the round of his life, but understood that he won with the help and encouragement of Eddie. This scene captured my heart and I was convicted. I’m embarrassed to say I would have yelled, “I did it!”

From this movie I was reminded that we is more powerful than me. Yet in sports, winning is usually all about me. God wants us to take up our cross daily and follow Him. We must die to self. Those are tough words. To be crucified daily means to empty ourselves and not look after our own interests only, but of others. We need to realize that competing is not about us, but about Christ within us. Dying to self, on and off the field, is a daily battle.

Imagine being on a team that has a “we” instead of “me” focus, with players who say, “We did it!” God can best use us when we sacrifice our own interests. We need to be reminded that together we win. So what will it be for you? We or me?

Go
1. If you sank a playoff-winning putt, what would you say?
2. When you have success, do you use “we” or “me”?
3. How can Christ help you sacrifice your own interests?

Workout
Matthew 20:25-28; John 13:14; 1 Peter 2:21

Overtime
Father, I admit I talk too much about my own accomplishments. I want to use “we” in my speech more than “me.” Help me to focus on others, not on myself. Thank You. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #2105
Big Daddy

Default 9.30.14

The One
Cori Close

Ready
"So she named the LORD who spoke to her: The God Who Sees, for she said, 'Have I really seen here the One who sees me?'”
— Genesis 16:13

Set
The first thing anyone asks a coach is, “How are things with your team?” When someone meets me and finds out that I am a coach, he usually asks, “Is your team good?” When I walk down the street after a game, people stop me to say, “Great win coach!” I always have a quick response, sharing all of the positive things that are going on in our program and painting our team in the best light.

I have struggled with not letting my team’s performance define me. I have battled against weighing my worth and status by my sport, or judging my success through the eyes of the fans who watch us. Thankfully, God doesn’t see me in that way at all. I often get a chance to respond to the question, “Did you win?’ when I walk on to planes with my team after games. I try to respond to them politely and then to myself say, “I won when I became a child of God.” On the average, Division I college basketball players spend 3,000 hours in their sport over 4 years, and only 4 percent of those hours are spent in games. I am not going to let that 4 percent of my time make me feel better or worse about myself. God has already said that I am one of His children. We need to remember that He is the audience who really matters.

Find something to define your identity in the midst of competition. For instance, I put a special coin in my pocket. This helps to remind me in the midst of competition why I coach, and for whom.

Go
1. How do I remind myself that God accepts and loves me regardless of my win-loss record?
2. Whom do I feel pressure to please?
3. How do I define success?

Workout
Extra Reading:
Deuteronomy 8:17–18
Psalm 139:13–14
Colossians 3:4
1 Peter 2:9

Overtime
Lord, thank You that You love me more than I can comprehend. Please help me to remember that You are the One whom I serve and that my worth comes from You and not from other people. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog

Old 10-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #2106
Big Daddy

Default 10.01.14

True Humility
Clay Elliott

Ready
Likewise, you younger men, be subject to the elders. And all of you clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
–1 Peter 5:5

Set
Louis Garza moved into our neighborhood when he was in the sixth grade. He was big, strong, fast, . . . and humble. He was easily the best athlete in our whole group, and we had a lot of really good athletes. But Louis was different; he willingly did anything for the good of the team.

It’s always tough trying to fit into a new group, but Louis slipped into ours easily. He didn’t demand anything. As a matter of fact, Louis was so humble that he always tried to get his weaker teammates to experience the more glamorous positions. He wanted others to feel special and succeed.

Most of us don’t strive to be humble or desire to be subject to others. Most of us don’t want to serve anybody, especially those inferior to us in intelligence or athletic ability. God tells us not only to live in humility, but also to clothe ourselves in it. What does that mean?

Clothing ourselves is something we do every day—for the entire day. Clothing ourselves with humility means we have to put humility on, because it doesn’t come naturally. It takes effort. It takes willpower. It takes stamina. And it takes God.

True humility means to consider others as more important than ourselves. It means we need to remove our selfish desires and willingly let others get the first choice. It means to be of service to others and God for His glory. We need a lot of Louis Garzas on our teams and in our schools . . . why not you?

Go
1. How can you show humility today?
2. Whom will you serve today, and how will you do it?

Workout
Philippians 2:5-11

Overtime
Lord, forgive me for being selfish. Help me clothe myself in humility and see others through Your eyes. Show me how to serve in such a way that You get all the glory. Amen.

Pastor Augie's Blog