IllinoisHighSchoolSports.com  

Go Back   IllinoisHighSchoolSports.com > Extras > Prayers/Condolences/Thoughts

Old 08-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #2236
Big Daddy
Bronze Club - Dec 18, 2015

Default 8.24.15

Little Things
FCA Resources

Ready “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You were faithful over a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Share your master’s joy!’”
— Matthew 25:21

Set
One of my favorite things about John Wooden’s coaching was that he taught his players each year to put on their socks and tie their shoes properly. You’d think college-age athletes could already do this, but Wooden took nothing for granted. He paid attention to the little things which made the big things come easier for his teams over the years.

Of course, Coach Wooden wanted to teach his players a lesson: if they were going to play in his program, they had to put aside what they wanted to do and follow his plans for the team. That discipline in the small things gave his teams great results, winning ten national championships and setting an example for us of the fact that little things make the biggest difference.

Sometimes in our walk with the Lord, we neglect what we might perceive as “the little things” because we get too busy. We forget that daily time with God in His Word, prayer, and serving others all help us learn to be faithful. However, as we learn from the parable in Matthew’s Gospel, we can’t assume we’ll be given many things until we’re first faithful with the few. These seemingly small steps make a huge difference in how we’ll handle bigger responsibilities.

To serve the Lord, we must put aside our own selfish desires and follow Christ in the little things. After all, He gave up His position as God to endure life as a man. Scripture says, “He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death—even to death on a cross” (Php 2:8). As a result of His willingness to serve faithfully, God exalted Him and gave Him the name above all names.

Go
1. What little things do you need to do to help your team?
2. What small steps can you take toward faithfulness in your spiritual walk?
3. How can you be faithful in all areas of your life?

Workout

Extra Reading:
Luke 16:10–12; Philippians 2:5–11; 1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Overtime
Thank You, God, for Your faithful love toward me and for helping my attitude today be like Christ’s. Amen.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #2237
Big Daddy

Default 8.26.15

Under Authority
Sarah Rennicke

Ready
“Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist are instituted by God.”
-Romans 13:1

Set
When a coach and player don’t see eye to eye, it can be an overwhelmingly frustrating experience. Heads colliding, visions blurring, lack of motivation to perform- all a deadly combination. And when someone’s in the wrong and yet there is no remorse or remedy, the war of wills proves quite a battle.

As athletes, we want our coaches to be a source of inspiration and teaching. Yet at times we wind up on teams where every practice is daunting, and the mental energy it takes to simply focus drains even our physical performance.

When we are under an authority who may be overbearing, negative, and not leading in God’s direction, instincts tell us to disregard their place over us, become discouraged and wish away our season. But it’s the season of life we’ve been given, and we can’t waste time grumbling and wanting to take the easy way out. God clearly tells us to persevere, to fix our eyes on Jesus and trust that He will make something good from the situation. The people He has put above us are by His institution, and though it may be difficult to unclench the fists around our heart, we must open ourselves to hearing from God in new ways through our obedience.

And we will hear and grow- God oftentimes uses what we most fight to disclose more of Himself in the process.

Go
1. What areas of your life do you have a hard time letting someone else control?

2. How can you apply a state of submission to those you don’t agree with?

3. What will you benefit from obeying God and His commands?

Workout
• Luke 12:4-5
• Hebrews 12:9
• James 4:6-8

Overtime
Lord God, please help me to submit to those who are over me. Give me the grace to serve them, and let me be a light to show them You. Amen.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #2238
Big Daddy

Default 8.31.15

Keep Swinging
By Sarah Rennicke
August 31, 2015

Ready
"A man who endures trials is blessed, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him."
- James 1:12

Set
A rush of relief ran through the crowd as the ball pinged off my brother’s bat, bouncing through the left field grass. When he reached first base, his teammates roared in approval.

Was it the hit that brought in the winning run? Did it seal a championship victory?

No.

It was actually his first hit of the season. He had been in what we baseball people call a “hitting slump”—out after out, swing after swing, when ball and bat refuse to cooperate. And as player after player got their share of doubles, triples and RBI, my brother’s average stuck to zero.

He kept persisting, though, even when the odds stretched smaller for playing time and we all wondered what God was doing. But what impressed me was the eternal perspective he carried through the slump when he told me, “I’m able to just play the game, and I know life is bigger than a high school hit.”

He knew God’s plan for his struggle was beyond what we see in human success. His number one role on the team was to show God to his teammates, in whatever form necessary. His steadfast faith that God was working in him through this hitting drought provided more of a ministry to teammates, coaches and fans than perhaps a .450 batting average ever could.

God often allows challenges so His light shines in the circumstances, while refining our character in the process. Don’t get me wrong, it was a celebration when Charlie broke his hitless streak, but the real win came in God’s whispers to trust and allow Him to do His work.

No matter what slump you find yourself in, keep swinging. God will come through.

Go
1. Can you remember a season of life where you seemed to be in a perpetual slump?
2. How did you keep working to get out of it?
3. How can you notice God working behind the scenes for you?
4. In what ways can you let God take control of frustrating life moments?

Workout
• Hebrews 10:35
• 2 Timothy 2:1
• Revelation 2:3

Overtime
God, thank You that You work differently than our human minds expect You to. Thank You that You have lessons for us to learn in the slumps of life, and that it’s there where you do Your best redemption work. May we be mindful of Your voice in our dry seasons. Amen.