IllinoisHighSchoolSports.com  

Go Back   IllinoisHighSchoolSports.com > Football > Class 1A - 2A Football

Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #61
Ocho Cinco
Bronze Club - Nov 12, 2014

I GUARANTEE Maroa is not looking past Carrollton. Maybe some of the fans are expecting a blowout, but at this point in the season the mantra is survive and advance. I am certain both teams have seen what they perceive as weaknesses in the opponent's game, and they will do their best to expose it. It will be a hard-hitting, fast-paced game on Saturday with two spread teams playing, so both sides better strap it up and bring it!
Ocho Cinco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #62
carrhawks6
Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho Cinco View Post
I GUARANTEE Maroa is not looking past Carrollton. Maybe some of the fans are expecting a blowout, but at this point in the season the mantra is survive and advance. I am certain both teams have seen what they perceive as weaknesses in the opponent's game, and they will do their best to expose it. It will be a hard-hitting, fast-paced game on Saturday with two spread teams playing, so both sides better strap it up and bring it!
Ocho Cinco...I believe you are 100% on that is exactly what I expect. Both these teams seem to have good team speed and the ability to score lots of points. I really think it will come down to execution,, Turnovers, penalties and who exposes the weaknesses the best. Both teams seems to have good solid defenses. Sometimes momentum is a weird thing. We found out against Salt Fork and Maroa found out against CAM how it can make a weird turn. Hawks I am sure are the underdog in this based on past successes. I believe most people expect Maroa to win but I believe most of those same people thought that CAM would beat Triopia. Can't wait to witness what happens!
carrhawks6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #63
Caesar
Bronze Club - Aug 30, 2014

Quote:
There are NO Maroa fans on this board who aren't expecting a blowout.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #64
Ocho Cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
I am have not seen one Maroa fan predict a blow out on here.. the people predicting a blow out have been fans of different schools.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #65
STL Crusader
Bronze Club - Nov 11, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerICplry82 View Post
Could not agree more there. The Ladue team was over confident, yes; they were also outcoached by Warrenton's coach. Look at this in Missouri also, in 2008 Wentzville Timberland had Montee Ball (Wisconsin Heismann finalist), Nic Diemen(Mizzou guard), James Wofford(Lindenwood safety), Ian Hansen(Central Missouri guard), Kurt Kutter(MO State tackle), David Crutcher(MO State Corner), Haleem Rafford(Central MO fullback) and #1 in the State, #22 in the Nation and first game of playoffs gets knocked off by a 6-4 McCluer team. Outcoached, over confident, too many "breeze" games and sat at home on Thanksgiving. Still think MF is favorite but I am not sold on anything like a running clock.
They cut off our passing attack early and we were conservative with running the ball. We had 3 very capable runningbacks. One of them the year after would finish 2nd team all state for class 4. Funny thing that he and I were in the same class together in kindergarden. Funny how your friends turn out to be.
STL Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #66
STL Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrhawks6 View Post
Ocho Cinco...I believe you are 100% on that is exactly what I expect. Both these teams seem to have good team speed and the ability to score lots of points. I really think it will come down to execution,, Turnovers, penalties and who exposes the weaknesses the best. Both teams seems to have good solid defenses. Sometimes momentum is a weird thing. We found out against Salt Fork and Maroa found out against CAM how it can make a weird turn. Hawks I am sure are the underdog in this based on past successes. I believe most people expect Maroa to win but I believe most of those same people thought that CAM would beat Triopia. Can't wait to witness what happens!
Their QB Hockaday is also a good DB as well. He has been really good at executing plays all year. So if it comes down to that, it will be hard to stop if they have the ball in crunch time. However, same goes for Maroa. You don't want it to come down to crunch if you have face a defense like Carrollton.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #67
footballfan1
Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Crusader View Post
Their QB Hockaday is also a good DB as well. He has been really good at executing plays all year. So if it comes down to that, it will be hard to stop if they have the ball in crunch time. However, same goes for Maroa. You don't want it to come down to crunch if you have face a defense like Carrollton.
Carrollton's 28-0 win over Cumby was evidence alone on how solid their defense is. There is no debate on that. Carrollton MUST win the turnover battle period. That is number 1 on the list to keys to this game. Carrollton also MUST win field position battle against Maroa. Make Maroa have to sustain long drives to score and by contrast Carrollton must give them self a short field to score. If they can accomplish those two goals then I think Carrollton can hang around for a little while. They must be opportunistic and capitalize on any mistakes Maroa makes.

Last edited by footballfan1; 11-08-2012 at 08:08 AM.
footballfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #68
carrhawks6
Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballfan1 View Post
Carrollton's 28-0 win over Cumby was evidence alone on who solid their defense is. There is no debate on that. Carrollton MUST win the turnover battle period. That is number 1 on the list to keys to this game. Carrollton also MUST win field position battle against Maroa. Make Maroa have to sustain long drives to score and by contrast Carrollton must give them self a short field to score. If they can accomplish those two goals then I think Carrollton can hang around for a little while. They must be opportunistic and capitalize on any mistakes Maroa makes.
I agree with most of this but from what i've seen on film. It looks to me like they match-up pretty good in the skill position area (speed, athletic, etc). If we can win the battle in the trenches on boths side of the ball, that could be a huge advantage. Defense has been mostly about team speed and flying to the ball for the Hawks. The turnover battle has been very lopsided in there favor...something like 30 takeaways and only given it away 8 times or so. The last two weeks the Hawks penalties have been cut in half. I am sure both teams will make some changes to try and stop the other in every aspect of the game. Both sets of coaches are very capable and students of the game! One just has more deep postseason experience but none works any harder than the Hawks! Most people don't know it but our entire coaching staff is volunteer with the exception being the head coach! That goes for all sports in Carrollton! Not to get off on a side note but considering that and the baseball, basketball and now Football teams success at the state level say a lot about the work ethic of these kids & coaches along with the support of the community!
carrhawks6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #69
STL Crusader

How do schools like Carrollton prevent burnouts from the athletes who play football, basketball, and baseball... etc. If my family didn't move to STL, I guess I would've gone through the same because I love playing sports. Like how do you move on from football to basketball. All summer your preparing for football and then you get ready for basketball.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #70
Ocho Cinco

Quote:
Hockaday plays linebacker

Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #71
Stangs4ever
Bronze Club - Nov 11, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
FANS can expect a blowout...no one cares what fans think. That has nothing to do with the actual team. I expect a blowout as well but what do I know!
2A State Champions 2011
Stangs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #72
Ocho Cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs4ever View Post
FANS can expect a blowout...no one cares what fans think. That has nothing to do with the actual team. I expect a blowout as well but what do I know!
If you think Central Illinois football is bad, I can't imagine how you feel about SOUTHERN Illinois football

Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #73
Stangs4ever
Bronze Club - Nov 11, 2015

Quote:
If you think Central Illinois football is bad, I can't imagine how you feel about SOUTHERN Illinois football
I didnt say it was bad, I just said I expected a blowout from Maroa

A SOUTHERN team gave us all we could handle last year at state. There are a handful that can hang I guess....
2A State Champions 2011
Stangs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #74
Dee-Mack Fan
Bronze Club - Sept 19, 2014

Quote:
I got another ? A quite a few people are saying Maroa is gonna murder Carrollton. Is this one of Maroa's easiet quarter final games ever? I know it shouldn't be.

Case in point: My high school team Ladue in STL in 2010 were going into the quarters and everyone thought they were going to beat an under athletic Warrenton side. (We had a lot of skill players who were really fast. Our QB was a track star and is now a walk QB for Mizzou and one of our WR's is now at Michigan on schalorship.) Anyway they beat us 35-7. The game was held at their place, but the point is that we were overconfident.

Lesson learned.

Maroa better be ready.
Maroa isnt looking past anyone, they know what Carrollton has and can do. Maroa players and staff as well as fans know on any given day any team can win, They will be poised and ready just like Carrollton will be. This should be one heck of a game.

George S. Patton
Dee-Mack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #75
bigdaddy16
Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs4ever View Post
I didnt say it was bad, I just said I expected a blowout from Maroa

A SOUTHERN team gave us all we could handle last year at state. There are a handful that can hang I guess....
Who was that southern team
bigdaddy16 is offline   Reply With Quote